The Barn Visitors Center, designed by architect John Milner, will be open for the day. Tickets will be for sale and the restroom facilities will be available. Parking for both the Visitors Center and the John Chads House will be behind the barn.
Hours: The Barn and the John Chads House will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the tour.
Site # 2
The John Chads House, Circa 1725 was built for John Chads by John Wyeth Jr. was constructed around the year 1725. The style and appointments of the house as we know it today suggest moderate wealth. Its simplicity reflects Chads' Quaker heritage. In 1729, about four years after the house was completed, Chads married Elizabeth Richardson, and the house of Brandywine bluestone became their home. John died in 1760, leaving his widow the use of the house and forty acres of land. Although Elizabeth never had children, her nieces and nephews were attentive to her needs. The widow Chads stood fast during the Battle of Brandywine, "burrying (sic) her silver spoons daily in her packet (pocket) until the danger was over."
The house will be festively decorated. Enjoy holiday refreshements and costumed interpreters along with baking demonstration in the home's beehive oven.
Site # 3
The Sanderson Museum houses over 200 years of American history. The Sanderson Museum has a rich collection of objects relating to life in Chadds Ford as well as an extensive collection of memorabilia representing the American experience. Visitors to the museum will uncover artifacts from the Revolutionary War, Civil War, both World Wars, and learn about the Battle of Brandywine along with other local lore. Chris Sanderson and the Wyeth family shared a love of the Chadds Ford area. See original sketches and paintings from N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth, Peter Hurd and other Wyeth family members.
For the Candlelight Christmas Tour, the museum will have its collection of Victorian Christmas ornaments on display and will welcome visitors with music and special refreshments. The Sanderson museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the tour.
Site # 4
The Yellow House of Willowdale, This large 19th century stucco over stone home will be open for the tour with its interior decked out in holiday splendor and greenery. This home features lovely paneling, multiple fireplaces, wonderful window treatments, and plenty of antique furnishing in a lovely Chester County setting. The period-style holiday decorations will blend in perfectly with the spacious interiors and period furnishings. Upon entering and exploring this beautiful space, you will see why it is a perfect site for any celebration! Enjoy listening to piano music while you're there. Restrooms are available at this site.
Site # 5
Taggarts Tavern, Circa 1800, once knowm as Taggarts Tavern, this home and its additions are an example of adaptive reuse of an early structure into office space. Of the three units, it is thought that the smaller unit is the oldest dating back to the 18th century. The eastern addition is probably early 19th century. The western addition sits on an early foundation but was completely reworked in 1980. Upon inspection one can still see the old doors, box locks, and handmade iron hinges and handles. Tje greatest asset of the building is its corncob decoration on the winding staircase. This was an active tavern on a major road that led to and from Philadelphia. Its first floor will be open for your perusal.
Site # 6
St. Michael Lutheran Church, Unionville, Enjoy listening to Christmas organ music when visiting the sancturary. The sanctuary has impressive exposed beams from 1997. A 300 seat fellowship hall was added in 2009, enabling the prior hall to become a 10 room educational wing for this congregation. You will understand their motto of being "the friendly church" when you stop in during the tour. Restrooms are available. Please use this parking lot to access the shuttle buses for sites # 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12.
Site # 7
Marlboro Manor, Circa 1842 (Shuttle Bus Only), this home was built by James Ore, a Unionville merchant. It was originally a store front for dry goods. The house sits on 4 acres today, but the original parcel was 14 acres which sold for $200. This beautiful residense just outside the Marlborough Village retains its original walnut floors before exposed ceiling beams and exudes 19th century charm! The homeowners extensively remodeled the kitchen, and an addition was added in 2007. The wrought iron wraparound porch was added in the later 19th century. The home will be festively decorated with five Christmas trees, each with a different theme. Fresh greens will adorn the home along with family antique decorations. Make sure to enjoy the West Chester Unionville artists' works which grace the old plastered walls of this country home.
Site # 8
Alota, Circa 1928 (Shuttle Bus Only), nestled on the edge of Marlborough Village, this home was constructed in a traditional Quaker style in 1928 by the Smith family. After a fire in the 1980's, the home underwent a renovation and addition. Walls were opened up, doorways were relocated, and an original window was even discovered burried in an added drywall partition wall. Based on original photographs obtained from prior owners, most of the original charm, beauty, and integrity still remain. Upon entering the home you are welcomed by a beautiful staircase and paneled closets made of cherry hardwood. These sets the tone for the exposed beams on the ceiling wrapped in cherry veneer giving warmth to the interior. Of course, no home would be complete without a gourmet kitchen and updated bathrooms with quaint accents of yester-year.
Site # 9
Circa 2000 (Shuttle Bus Only), This unique house, designed by Wayne and Colleen Simpson as their home (they have two daughters) and as an office for their architecture and interior design practice, reflects the bold simplicity and ease of living found in Tuscan villas. The house is organized around a welcoming furnished courtyard enclosed on three sides by the office, home, and garage. All first floor rooms have generous access to the outdoors and numerous windows fill the house with light all seasons. The classical south facing rear porch shields the house from the summer sun while extending the living room into the elliptical lawn. Custom millworkand built-ins throughout the house, along with major furniture pieces designed by the owners and built by local craftsman Chris Ferrier, anchor the interiors to create an ambiance of relaxed elegance and restraint.
Site # 10
Cyrys Barnard Home, Circa 1827, in 1827 Cyrus Barnard was commissioned by the Marlborough Quaker Meeting to build this house to be use by the schoolmaster of the Friends school. Isaac Martin and his wife lived here from 1831 to 1851, and here their three children were born. From 1851 until 1925, when the meeting sold it, the house was rented out. Of stone construction, now stuccoed, the facade retains its original appearance in spite of a large recent addition to the rear. There is sure to be something brewing on the AGA range in the kitchen, and as you walk through, enjoy the family furnishings and decorations used by this family for the holidays.
Site # 11
The Barn House, Circa 1937 (Shuttle Bus Only), Originally this stucco over brick home was two single homes built during the 1840's. The combined price paid back then was $65.00. A fire in 1937 burned both homes to the ground. A single family home was built on the site after the fire. The home today is, in a way, still two seperate homes: the rebuilt home of the 1930's and the modern, two floor addition built in 2005. The garage was added in 2007. Guests on the tour will be able to visit the first floor of the home, which is decorated to reflect the owners' clean, uncluttered, simple tastes. Solid hardwood floors, two working fireplaces, a wraparound porch, and a large kitchen and sitting area with views to Marlborough Valley are just a few of the things that make this home special. View the collected art work of friends, family, and unknown artists and take in the spectacular views of the Marlborough Valley and the distant Wickersham Farm. Stroll outside to enjoy the small barn, outhouse, and blue stone patio.
Site # 12
12 Marlborough Meetinghouse, Circa 1801 (Shuttle Bus Only), built in 1801 on land donated by two farmers, Isaac Baily and Richard Barnard, who had a disagreement over water rights. After years of bitter dispute, Barnard defused the situation by washing Baily's feet. Their gift of land to the new meeting was an outward sign of a new friendship. Of locally fired brick, Marlborough Meeting follows Quaker tradition in having a divider between its men's and women's sides. Originally a fixed lower wooden partition with sliding hal-panels above seperated the bulding, creating a men's side to the west and women's side to the east. In 1878, It was not until 1979 that heat wasinstalled and electric sconces were put up for lighting. Indoor plumbing was just added about 10 years ago. The cemetary, which also sits on the property with the meetinghouse, is bordered by fieldstone walls and lovely iron fence pieces.
Site # 13
Rosewood, Circa 1861, Rosewood will be a treat to walk toward on the tour. The grounds are spectacular, and the specimen trees and formal gardens make this 36 acre site a lovely setting for this stately home. The house was originally built in 1861 by Thomas Seal, a Quaker who attended Westtown School. Mr. Seal, a contemporary of Pierre du Pont, whose home is now Longwood Gardens, was an avid gardener. The property had greenhouses, and Mr. Seal planted specimen trees, some of which still grow on the property. The home has been renovated extensively several times, first in the late 1800's, again in the early 1960's, and most recently in 1993. The 1993 rennovation, a John Milner project, comprised an extensive addition for a kitchen, family room, playroom, and master suite, as well as an update of all systems, Since that rennovation, the owner has focused on the grounds and gardens: adding a kitchen garden; a water garden, The East Garden; and an enclosed garden, The Secret Garden.
Current projects include continuing the tradition of planting specimen trees, extending the gardens, and restoring the woodlands' understory with native plants, following a fencing of most of the property for a deer-free environment. Feel free to walk the grounds after you tour the home. Inside, the tour will be of the first floor. Through the renovated entryway, the dining room, living room, and entry hall are decorated formally in period wall papers and furnishings. The entry hall art includes modern and traditional works and collectibles. The kitchen and family rooms are more casual and feature many salvaged materials as well as new works from local artisans.
Site # 14
The Joseph Barnard House, Circa 1790, The Joseph Barnard House built in the 1790's when it encompassed 189 acres, boasts a family lineage of having Joseph's great grandfather, Richard, on the same vessel with William Penn on his voyage to America. The deeds link the house to the 1785-1795 time period with a brick addition in the first quarter of the 19th century. The home was originally known as Val Delicia, Valley of Delight, and was so named for its sweeping views of the Pocopson Valley. Joseph's son, Simon, was said to have been born in the house. He went on to become an abolitionist and participated in the Underground Railroad movement. In 2004 the house was part of a 40 acre parcel which was to become a neighborhood for 18 houses. One of the stipulations to permits was that the house, which was considered to be in state of tear down status, had to be restored. Today, you will see the Pyramid Award which was awarded to Megil Homes in 2010 for the Best Residential Renovation. The home will be appropriately festooned for the holidays as Joseph, the original inhabitant, was born on Christmas Day.
Enjoy listening to live dulcimer music while visiting this house.
Site # 15
15 Galer Winery & Farmhouse, Circa 1800, Decorated for the winter solstice, the Galer Winery and Farmhouse will have their 19th Century farmhouse open for your visit. The winery will have tastings for you to enjoy and selections to purchase. Enter through the massive iron gates and look up to the unique weather vane, and you will see how the old and new have been so beautifully blende. The views of the vines and rolling countryside are breathtaking. The Galer Winery is a great ending stop for the tour! Festive decorations for the season, wine winemaking at its best, and a tasting or two cap a lovely day and tour of the Chadds Ford Annual Candlelight Christmas Tour.